Friday, May 14, 2010

Much to update

We’ve had an exhausting and stressful couple of weeks around these parts. Blogging was something I couldn’t even think about! But I *think* we’re slowing down now and there is so much to write about.

The 25th was Gwen’s birthday and it started off inauspiciously with Elly throwing up a couple times the night before and the morning of. We cautiously hoped that it was a 24 hour bug and made the decision to bring her with us to the party and keep her somewhat isolated. She did ok. My Mom tended her and she held it together for most the day. Unfortunately (or fortunately), right after the party ended she threw up all over the floor. But the staff of Pump It Up! barely batted and eye and had it cleaned up right away. Everyone had a blast and you can’t beat a bouncy house place for wearing out kids (and adults!).

One set of slides. So fun!


Gwen coming down head first


Sick Elsa


Gwen posing


Aunt Jenni taking Elly for a slide


Another of the bouncy things


Group pic


The birthday throne


Ethan and his friend directing gift opening


The boys got a kick out of being teased by the girls


After the party, we decided to go to Burgermasters as a treat and get dinner. We figured since Elly had already puked she wouldn’t do it again, right? Oh wrong. WRong wrong wrong! We placed our order and BAM! Elsa pukes all over herself and the car seat. I hustle to clean it all up and I’m feeling like this is not going to be fun and we need to get home. Our food comes and I’m holding Elly and she throws up again! Oh heavens. Nothing ruins a meal like the odor of vomit. So I tell Jason, “Lets go, NOW!”. He goes to start the car and… nothing. Nothing at all. Huh? He tries again and again and the car is dead. This is not happening. But it is. Our car battery died! We just got AAA so we give them a ring and they say it could be an hour or more. That bites. However, the Burgermaster lady notices our dilemma and says, “Hey, we can jump you right here with this neat thing” and she does and we’re on our way in 10 minutes. What a day! What a stressful, stinky, messy day :)

Unfortunately, the fun did not stop there and one by one we all fell sick. For Elsa it was the worst. She had both vomit and diarrhea for 10 days. For everyone else it was a 24-48 hour thing. We didn’t have it all at once though, it staggered out through the week so it felt never ending!

After recovering from that, I decided to get Elsa off the bottle. She usually had one at nap and bedtime, but since being sick she’d been totally off them and we thought this was the time. It was hard because she did start to want them again, but we persevered and she seems ok with it now.

Then I decided last weekend to potty train Elly. I don’t know why I decided to do this when we were all still recovering from the stress and hassle of being sick, but there ya go. My friend April had recommended and I used their method to good success! She’s now 100% dry during the day and naps. She was dry for a few nights but has started wetting again at night, so I think we may put her in pull ups at night for now. She’s still so young and might not be ready for night time dryness on a consistent basis.

Mother’s Day was rather stressful for me as well! We’d made plans to celebrate at my Mom’s house and combine it with Elsa’s birthday (which is on the 19th) since May is busy for everyone and we weren’t sure we could all get together again later in the month. My Mom came down with the flu though and thought we should cancel because she didn’t know how long she could still be infectious after feeling better. I didn’t get this email though until I’d just completed a HUGE 3 layer 9 x13 cake filled with lemon-white chocolate whipped cream and strawberries. It must have weighed 10 lbs! The thought of all the time and money put into this cake being wasted was enough to drive me into my bed in tears. Luckily though, everyone decided to still get together and we had a wonderful day. I got no pictures because I’ve been HORRIBLE about that lately.

See the next post for more…

No comments: