Saturday, February 13, 2010

Convicted

I've been feeling very convicted about how much time I spend online. It never feels like I spend a lot of time at a stretch, but since I'm always popping on and off it does add up. Some days, bad days, I spend most of my day online just killing time and trying to escape reality. I end up eating my breakfast and lunch here, so I can read articles or my message board and my kids watch more TV than they should because Mommy gets caught up in something online. I don't want to be a parent who keeps brushing their kids aside because they are too distracted by the computer.

So, my new goal is to limit myself to 30 minutes a day. I suppose for some people that still probably sounds like a lot! But I will guarantee you that its way less than I spend online now. 30 minutes is plenty of time to check my boards, Facebook, email and read a few things online.

I want to fill that extra time with good, fun things. Not more housework. Nope. That's a sure way to send me back to the computer for an escape! I want to use that time to read for myself or to the kids, finally get back into sewing, work in the yard, or do one of the thousand and one projects I have in mind for this house.

So, I start tomorrow. I'm a little afraid to be honest. My computer has been an escape for years and years... even before I had kids! I'm sure there will be some withdrawal pains. But I'm not living in a way I'm proud of right now, and I know technology addiction is part of it.

No comments: