Friday, May 27, 2005

Hotter still

Ugh. We must move to Alaska... The coldest spot in Alaska. I'm not designed to handle this heat. I should be living in cool spring days, rainy days, stormy days, snowy days and the occasionally sunny day (80's tops, please). 90 degrees and humid is not where I should be. It makes me a real brat. Just ask Jason.

I got out all our fans today and cleaned them. They were very icky and dusty. All day I had to keep Ethan from the oscillating fan because he was either fascinated by its movement or wanted to play with the plug. He either has a short memory or the allure was too great because we went through 'no touch' a million times.

Gwen almost smiled at me today. A couple times I could just see that she was on the brink of doing it! She will have a very cute smile, I can tell... though I don't think it will be the wide open mouth smile that Ethan had when he was little. This heat makes her sleep very long stretches but when she wakes up, she makes up for it by wanting to eat for a very long time. Fine with me, as I worry about the kids getting dehydrated in the heat.

We went to Costco tonight to return some diapers (bought wrong size). Of course we had to get a few other things since we were there. I got two books, which should last me maybe through the weekend. Once I get started I really fly through books.

There is an art to picking the checkout line at Costco. Jason seems to be drawn to the longest line sometimes, I swear. You need a quick mind to quickly calculate the number of carts compared with the number of items in each cart, then factor in the speed of the checkers and the relative stupidity of the person pushing the cart. That may sound rude, but it’s so true. For instance, this evening I picked a great line... Average number of carts, few items, fast checker, but I underestimated the stupidity of the people pushing the carts. The first few were fine, but the lady in front of us wanted her items checked out in two separate transactions, then they cost too much so she had to take some stuff out, then she had to write the check as slowly as humanly possible. We had quadruple the number of items and our transaction took 1/3 the time.

Tonight we were supposed to have BBQ'd beef ribs, but it was way too hot to BBQ. Between the heat, the complete lack of shade in the back yard and the heat of the BBQ itself, I'd be 'well done' by the time the ribs were done! We're gonna have them tomorrow, but as a late lunch so that I don't have to be out there in the heat. I've never made beef ribs before, but I saw them make the recipe on TV and it looked deeelish. It uses smoke, which I've only done a few times, so I'm excited to try it.

Tomorrow after our late lunch we're going to go out to my Moms and try to get Ethan to run through the sprinkler. Should be fun.

Have watched a lot of movies lately... Most of them quite good:

Closer - Dirty movie, but tolerable to watch since everyone in it was so pretty (Julia Roberts, Natalie Portman, Jude Law)
Sideways - Very funny, my type of content (wine/food talk).
I Am David - One of those depressing/inspiring true story movies about a refugee. Excellent.
Hotel Rwanda - Fantastic. Deserved every bit of praise that it got. A must see.
Oceans Twelve - Good. Not much to say. Kept my interest, but thats about it.

Well, this is long enough so I'll stop :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have a great idea...move to Spokane :) it may get hot here, but we don't have the humidity.

I can't wait to see my baby smile :) I'm sure she'll have an angelic smile.

I have quick tip for making BBQ'd ribs really tender and it takes half the time to BBQ. Email or call if you want info.

Thanks for the movie reviews lol I was wondering if Hotel Rwanda was a good as everyone says.