Tuesday, April 03, 2007

An early morning blog post? Totally out of the ordinary, but since I've been working out quite often (and having to get up at 5:30 to do so) I thought, hey, why not.

I guess the most major thing going on is that my Grandfathers cancer is active again. While there is no new tumors, the one in his chest is growing. After only a 1 month break, he's going in for another cycle of chemo but the outlook is grim, no matter the effect of the treatment.

There is still hope, there is always hope, that a miracle could occur. We pray for that miracle so that we can spend as much time with my Grandpa as possible. But I have come to the acceptance that he will be leaving soon. For a long time I couldn't accept it... it wasn't real to me. My Grandpa dying? Why, him and my Grammy are immortal. They can't die. Working with my therapist though, I was able to get through that denial and accept the truth of the situation, while still being able to hope that the unexpected will happen.

One of my great concerns is what our family will be like after he passes. Who will fill his shoes? Who will exhort and encourage us? Who will give us wise advice and guidance? In a way, this is the changing of the guard in our family structure. A necessary and natural, albeit painful, process.

In other news, all the E. Washington family came over this weekend and we had a great time! Saturday morning I hosted around 13 for breakfast (including the freshly born Easton). After we were done with that, we all headed to the Everett Children's Museum, where the kids ran themselves exhausted. The rooftop was open (though it was very cold) and the kids loved it. We came home, put the kids down for nap, then right when they woke up we headed out to my Mom's for Amber's late baby shower :)

That was fun too... and it had a most unusual ending of everyone measuring their body fat on my Aunt's scale and with calipers. I tell ya, not many families would end a shower this way!

For the record, my body fat percentage was not that bad. Not great, but not bad either. Woo hoo!

We have an active week ahead of us:

Today I drop the kids at my Mom's, then take J to the M's game tonight for his birthday. We'll also be picking up information on enrolling Ethan at the Calvary Chapel Preschool, which sounds like it meets our wants perfectly as far as class time (2 hrs, twice a week) and distance (a mere 5 minutes from the house).

Tomorrow I pick up the kids from my Mom's after getting party supplies and Easter stuff.

Thursday my Mom arrives to babysit while I do my grocery shopping.

Friday morning I register Ethan for preschool and we meet with our pastor at his home for dinner.

Saturday is the kid's birthday party.

Sunday is Easter and all the festivities that go along with that.

Next time I blog, I'll update you on the kids, who are going through a lot of development changes lately. They are both enormously charming and incredibly vexing :)

1 comment:

Kate Thaete said...

lol, i love your family, but i am making a mental note to decline any future invitations to family gatherings. ;)