Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Tonight we went to my Mom's and decorated the lid of the cremation box that will be used for my Grandpa tomorrow. I know that probably sounds weird, and I guess it is. We did it for my Nana when she passed away near 12 years ago and it just seemed right to do this time as well. My Aunt said that she didn't want the people who would be handling the box to think "its just another person". She wanted them to know a little something about our Grandpa. So we signed it, we painted on it, we modge-podged some letters and pictures. I took photos of it and will post tomorrow. We ended up spending much longer than we intended and got home only about 20 min ago. That is super late for the kids and hopefully they will sleep in.

You know whats strange? It bothers me that my Grandpa's body will be burned tomorrow. I prefer cremation, and I know that its not him there... its just his shell. But it still hurts me that his body will be destroyed. If you knew him, you know that he had a strong physical presence. Even when he was at his sickest, his hands were still sturdy and large, he had a look of strength about him even though he wasn't. Its hard to imagine that this body will be gone. A very small part of my brain keeps thinking that this is NOT happening and that I could go in there, wherever he is right now, and wake him up and make him better. *sigh*

Anyway, on a completely different and more upbeat note, I wanted to direct you to the store of a wonderful lady that I've bought from. Her store is at

http://periwinklesuz.etsy.com

Originally I bought the most lovely fused glass apple pendant which I wore often. Unfortunately, the kids got to it and ripped off the bail (the part that connects the apple to the chain). I sent it back to her and the envelope was opened during shipping and the pendant was lost. I was really quite heartbroken because her pieces are one of a kind and handmade. It wasn't possible to just get a duplicate because you don't really know whats going to come out of the kiln.

This incredibly kind woman not only offered me another pendant for free, but is also trying her darnedest to make an apple again and if she can make one, will give that to me for free. Isn't that nice? You don't get service (and I'd call that above and beyond *just* service) like that anywhere. So if you are looking for unique jewelry pieces, check her out :)

No comments: