Sunday, September 02, 2007

The bad news first.

My skin irritation, which was almost gone yesterday, is back with a vengeance. Painfully itchy skin under the eyes, a dry nose, and even my lips are cracking. I woke up a couple times in the night with such pain under the eyes... I'd been itching them in my sleep. I could just cry. We skipped church today because I feel so self conscious. A doctor visit is going to have to be in order unless it resolves today or tomorrow. Its been almost a week since this started. I broke my skin *cry*

I think that part of the reason this trouble re-started was our day yesterday, which is the fun news :) Becki and I spent two hours hand picking 50 lbs of pickling cucumbers out of a field in Snohomish. We also got some dill, and I picked up some corn and beets. Then we headed over to Mom's where we started the pickling work.

Our day's loot. From L to R, a big bag of dill ($2), a bag of corn we picked off the stalk and some beets ($6) and the last two bags are 50lbs of cucumbers ($40)



Look at this enormous beet. I have no idea what I'll do with it, but it was too strange to pass up.



Our 170 cloves needed for the pickles.


The pickles being washed in a washing machine. This removes the dirt, as well as the prickles that are on the skin. This is totally safe... washer was bleached before hand, and no soap is added.


Our pickling brine simmering on the stove.



Finished product... 52 quarts of refrigerator pickles. The end cost, after all our expenses were added up was a measly $1.80 a quart. You couldn't buy them that cheap... and they are much better than store bought!



Anyway, I think that handling those potent spices and the vinegar and maybe the sun too have contributed to the skin problems today.

I feel so ugly with this going on. I don't want to leave the house.

No comments: