Thursday, September 08, 2005

Have I felt worse and more down than I have today? Perhaps, but if so I do not remember it. My children... I love them to bits, but today I thought more than once that I should wish to be childless again! The constant fit throwing by Ethan. Gwen's infernal fussiness. At one point I'm in the rocking chair, rocking frantically trying to get Gwen to calm down and I'm so numb and worn out that I feel like I'm dead.

Anywhoo, on a lighter note (kinda), I went to the neurologist today. Despite the doctor being very skeptical of my decision to let Gwen self wean off breastfeeding, whenever that may be (Dr. only breastfed 10 mo and she feels that's the best way *roll eyes*), she gave me quite a bit of good information.

Since I'm breastfeeding, I cannot take the daily meds that she wants me to take. However, once I stop breastfeeding, she wants me to go on either Zonegran or Topomax for prevention of headaches. Which one will depend on the results of my MRI. The reason that she wants me to have an MRI is because she believes I may have 'scratches' on my temporal lobe from my sleepwalking incident back in 2003. My headaches have gotten worse and I started having auras and confusion after that incident. These 'scratches' can cause these types of symptoms. Its not a serious issue, but if these scratches are present, she wants me on a medication that will help me with those 'short circuits' and headaches.

I'm now officially diagnosed with Migraine... specifically Classic-type migraines. She feels that the speech issue I had back in August was a rare occurrence, though it could happen again. That my auras and this speech problem only last a few minutes are good signs. That means that its not serious. If it were mini-stroke or something, it would last longer, and be accompanied by paralysis.

So, in the meantime, until I stop breastfeeding, I will continue taking my Labetalol, and also take one baby aspirin a day to slightly thin my blood. Both these are minor preventives. I was given 3 samples of migraine meds to try. Axcert, Relpax, Maxalt. All are considered fairly safe to use while breastfeeding.

I know it sounds dorky, but I'm excited to try these drugs out because as long as I have something to kill the headaches, I don't worry to much about prevention. I'd much rather breastfeed Gwen and take occasional drugs to kill headaches then stop breastfeeding so I can take a daily drug to prevent. Does that make sense?

Anyway, I've just about exhausted my available brain power. I'm sooooo tired (oh, did I mention that both kids were awake all through the night last night?) .

Oh, one more thing. Gwen rolled over today. I had her sleeping on her tummy on the couch. She started making noises and moving around and next thing I know she's on her back with her feet in her mouth. Wow! Thats my girl :)

No comments: