Friday, July 15, 2005

Today Jasons half-sister, Nicole, dropped by for a visit. She was on her way up to Bellingham to see her bf, and stopped off here for a few hours. Good to see her!

I had a bunch of blueberries I had bought from Costco and since they really wouldn't last another day, I made them into a delicious cobbler with a cookie dough type topping. I must have used too many berries, since it overflowed generously. Luckily, I had placed the pan on a cookie sheet, so my oven was saved. I'm still confused by this, perhaps someone can enlighten me. Is a pint of blueberries measured by volume (i.e. cups) or weight? The reason I ask is that my recipe called for 3 pints of blueberries fresh, or, 36 oz frozen. Well, I had 2.75 lbs of fresh blueberries. I assumed that they were measured by volume, so I measured out 6 cups of blueberries, which used up the entire container. However, the pan was very full, and overflowed, so it seems as if I used too many? Why would they give ounces for frozen, but pints for fresh? Gah!

We had a delightful dinner. A dinner that is perhaps my most favorite thing to eat. Sun-dried tomato risotto. Rice, sauteed in oil with onions and garlic. Throw in some chopped sun dried tomatoes. Add wine, simmer till wine is absorbed. Add broth, 1/2 cup at a time, until rice has absorbed most the liquid after every addition. Near the end, add a bit more wine. Rice will be creamy and rich. Add a generous amount of grated parm. You are left with perhaps one of the most delicious things on earth. Soft rice, al dente in the middle, bathed in a ethereal sauce that is brothy, winey, crazy good. The Italian cook who created this dish is brilliant.

Tomorrow we will be attending a Mariners game. Shelly will be babysitting Ethan, Gwen will be with us. I'm looking forward to the game because Safeco is such a wonderful place and even if the Mariners suck (which, chances are they will) you still have a good time. However, I am worried how Gwen will do. Cross your fingers!

No comments: