Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Ugh. I know I sound like such a complainer, but today was so depressing.

Like yesterday, it started off ok, until I tried to lay Ethan down for a nap. He screamed and screamed and screamed, so I got him up and tried laying him down 45 min later. This time he fell asleep, but my nerves were already frayed.

Gwen is in a growing spurt. She's eating every 2 hours or less (except at night, thank goodness) and does not want to be put down. She's barely napping either.

Ethan woke up and fed his entire lunch to the dogs. So irritating. He thought it hysterically funny to throw it as far as he could and see the dogs scamper away for it. After lunch, he didn't really want to play or do much, so I put him on the couch (Gwen too) and raced around trying to get the house clean. I managed to sweep, vacuum, take apart the vacuum to replace the belt (and clean out the dirt build up), have the belt break (wrong size, oops), replace the old belt and vacuum again to pick up the dust that I had removed, and then mop. It was kinda funny to watch Ethan running around one the wet floors because his feet just slid everywhere.

I put Ethan down for his second nap kinda late (4:30) , but much to my dismay, he woke up at 5:00. At this point, Gwen is still nursing like ALL the time and I'm tired and I just wanted to sit down and read but I couldn't. Totally felt like I was going to lose it. Its so frustrating to get no real peaceful time. If both the kids are sleeping, then I have to prep for dinner or clean. If one of them is sleeping, I have to tend to the other. Relentless.

For dinner we had grilled chicken wings. I'm beginning to be a huge fan of those things. They are cheap, quick to defrost and cook and there are tons of different ways to use them. I brined these for 30 min, then grilled. Made a spicy peanut dipping sauce that had peanut butter, ginger, garlic, fish sauce, coconut milk, red pepper flakes and honey all pureed up in a blender. 'Twas very good. Ethan loved it! Grilled up some zucchini as well.

I had a craving for apricots, so I spent a few minutes searching out a recipe for an apricot tart, using the dried apricots and frozen puff pastry I had. Well, I couldn't find any specifically for what I wanted, so I made something up. I took a good number of dried apricots, boiled them in water until soft, drained them, then boiled the apricot water down to a glaze. Roughly chopped up the apricots, spread over the puff pastry, covered with the apricot glaze and sprinkled some 'Sugar In the Raw' over the top. Had a minor problem with the puff pastry. It was chilling in the fridge and somehow a ramekin of coffee turned over and ruined half of it. It made me cry.

Anyway, I cut off the coffee covered part and its cooking now. Smells great. I can already see where I messed up though. I should have at least partially precooked the pastry because its going to be soggy on the bottom. I have it on my pizza stone and cranked up the oven, so we'll see if that fixes it.

Well, I got my 5 min of freedom. Gwen is already crying so I'm off.

No comments: