Wednesday, August 03, 2005

I'm back.

Got Ethans flu and am just now starting to feel human again, though I'm still having some aches from it. On the upside, not being able to eat or drink for a day or two, and then having limited appetite at best after that DOES help in the weight department. Lost nearly 7lbs!

Have lots of pics from Mom's house on Saturday and various others. Here ya go.

One of the few pics of me with Gwen!














Kinda mean, but Grandpa
sure loved to turn down the sprinkler so that Ethan would get close, then turn it on high and watch the reaction!















Ethan is bright white, just like me :D





















Ethan loves rocks














Is Gwendolyn a gamer in the making?














Just playing around...




















Oh, I may be on the Dr. Phil show! I had heard that they were looking for people to be on their show about 'breastfeeding in public' and so I sent in a quick note with my opinion on the matter, thinking nothing of it, other than I'd just get my opinion in there. Well, much to my total shock (and somewhat horror now), they responded and want me to send in some pics, and see if the taping date would fit my schedule. Obviously, they'll do pre-interviews and such to see if they even want me, but even this little bit of interest has terrified me! I guess my little note (ok, rant) was a little TOO eye catching. Yikes. Well, if they really want me, I'll go. Eek.

For your reading pleasure, I will include my note below. Now that I've read over it a few times, I see where I could have done better, but again, I wasn't really trying to impress... just get my opinion out there so they would know that there are people who feel strongly on the issue.

I feel that nursing in public is not only a woman’s right, but a child’s right. With so many health benefits to the mother and child, a true disservice is done when a child is not breastfed.

In nearly every culture other than ours, breastfeeding in public (even with the breasts fully exposed) is barely given a second look. It’s a true shame that the American culture and media has so jaded the minds of its citizens that we're unable to grasp and appreciate the non-sexual use of breasts.

Without a doubt, breastfeeding is the absolute healthiest thing you can do for your baby, and yet we terrify mothers into doing it in private, or make them go through complicated rituals of covering up, pumping, making excuses or, because it’s so much work, just staying home.

No one seems to have a problem with teenagers running around in skimpy clothing, leaving nothing to the imagination, but heaven forbid you see a bit of breast when a mother is nourishing her child! Why is it appropriate to accept the revealed flesh of a young woman (displaying it for sexual purposes) and not the flesh of a mother, who is displaying it (or rather it happens to be displayed... I've yet to know a mother to just throw it all out there) for a completely logical and useful reason?

Society, with some help from your friendly formula makers, has made breastfeeding outside the home (or even inside the home) seem complicated and arduous, when the exact opposite is true! I have two children under 2. I carry a small handbag, which, along with my normal purse items, holds two diapers, wipes, pacifier and snack. 99% of the time that is all I carry. I need no bibs, no bottles, no formula, no cold packs to keep the formula chilled, and no access to water. My daughter can be fed at a moments notice, anywhere, anytime.

It’s absolutely infuriating to listen to these prudish, uptight, uninformed, ignorant types talk about 'doing it in private', or 'just use the bathroom'. Well, when I see mothers feeding their children formula (which truly does belong in the bathroom, and down the toilet) in a filthy restroom, then I will be happy to reconsider. Until then, I will feed my child publicly and proudly. If a wee bit of breast is exposed in the process, people can look away, or look all they want. Breastfeeding is not about their comfort. It’s about the bonding and nourishment of my child, which they deserve even if we are outside the home.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So well written, passionate, articulate, the point made so clearly...no wonder they want you on the Dr. Phil show! I am so proud of you sending that letter...all those reading it have become better informed and more intelligent on the matter because of it. Good for you!
Love those pictures, especially the one of you and Gwendolyn.
Love you,
Mom

Anonymous said...

Right on!

Anonymous said...

Kristi,
I love what you had to say about public breast feeding. Go Girl. You were explicit and clear and right on. Love you Aunt Margaret