Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Well well well... what a day!

It started off nicely enough with the kids sleeping in till 7:30. I hope they keep it up... Finally I'm catching up with some sleep!

After laying the kids down, I was in the bathroom getting ready for the day when there was a knock upon the door. I figured it was a delivery person, and as I had not yet changed from my nightclothes, I ignored it. Well, there was a second round of knocking and this time it was quite loud and insistent. The dogs were going absolutely bonkers, which they don't do for normal delivery people. This got me worried.

I tiptoed into our bedroom, found some pants and came out only to see a county sheriff at the door. All I could think of was "What did our bitchy no-good neighbor complain about now that would bring a policeman out?". After opening the door, the officer told me that they had received a 911 call from our home and was everything ok. I said it was and it must have been my son who had called (he was playing with the phone earlier), but the officer pressed me for many details, such as who was in the house, the ages of the kids, was my husband home, where did he work, over and over he'd say, "And everything is ok?". It wasn't until after he left that I realized he was asking all that because he thought I might have been told to say that everything was ok as a cover-up. All the while he was peeking in my kitchen window and through the door. He even had his nightstick out (maybe to fight back the dogs? hehe).

Anyway, I was mortified and will now make sure that Ethan has no contact with that phone... EVER! Not even 2 years old and he's already called the police on me! :)

Shelly came just after 12 and babysat while I did some errands. I went to JoAnnes and got my yarn which is totally lovely. I'm not going to say what I'm making as its experimental. You'll just have to wait and see if it works out ;)

After that I went to Pal-Do World which was an enormous disappointment. I'd expected something like Uwajimaya or Central Market... something upscale. However, it was quite the opposite. There were boxed goods laying EVERYWHERE. Many of the shelves were bare, and the meat case was abysmally empty. In the pork section, they had slices of pork shoulder. That was all. In the beef section, there were slices of flank steak. That was all. The produce looked ample and smelled good and a wide variety of exotic ingredients was available, but overall the experience was completely lacking. I won't go back.

After that I hit a few more stores looking for the elusive cut of pork I need for Christmas. Of all places, I hit the jackpot at Safeway! There was only one of these babies... a huge 20lb pieces of pig. Its beautiful. There is something (I believe I've noted this before) very appealing, exciting and luxurious about cooking a gignormous slab of meat. It cost a fortune, but not really when you think about how many it will feed with leftovers too! I'm over the top happy I found it! While I was there, I picked up a few other items I needed for the dish... red hot peppers, ginger and garlic which will be made into a paste and rubbed into the pork.

We ended up having Honey and Soy Glazed Salmon with thyme flavored rice and braised cabbage for dinner. Jason hates this meal, which is rare. Usually he likes everything I cook. Ethan and I loved it. Yum!

I've posted an adorable little clip of Ethan dancing. He's soooo cute! Was only about to get 1 1/2 minutes of footage because the camera was full.

No comments: